Recycling Sites to Reopen Next Week
ERYC PRESS RELEASE
But with strict measures in place
Household waste recycling sites across the East Riding are to reopen next week to give residents the chance to dispose of essential waste – but strict measures will be in place as the lockdown continues.
All 10 sites will reopen from Monday 4 May and will stay open from 10am to 5pm seven days a week.
As the Government’s ‘stay at home’ advice is still in place, residents should only visit the recycling sites if it is absolutely necessary – where excess waste cannot be stored at home safely.
As all the sites will be open seven days a week, residents are asked to be mindful not to immediately rush to sites in the first few days to avoid long queues and long waiting times.
The health of residents and the workforce remains the priority of East Riding of Yorkshire Council and site managers FCC Environment – therefore everyone entering the sites must follow social distancing measures.
Staff will be on hand to ensure all guidelines are followed, therefore we urge all residents arriving to please be patient.
Councillor Richard Burton, leader of East Riding of Yorkshire Council, said: “We have listened to residents’ concerns about waste building up at home during the lockdown, and now, following the latest Government guidance, we are now in a position to reopen our household waste recycling sites from next week.
“But we need residents to follow the strict new measures put in place in order to protect both those visiting and the staff on site – and only make the journey if it’s absolutely necessary.
“Please also be careful about when you choose to visit. We are expecting long waiting times so we’d ask residents to please be patient and please listen to any guidance from staff.”
Anyone planning to visit a recycling site from Monday onwards is asked to abide by these new restrictions:
- Only cars and small vans will be allowed on site. Transit-type vans and trailers of any kind will not be permitted. Therefore the usual permit system will not apply at this time.
- Only one person per vehicle.
- Only a limited number of vehicles will be allowed on site. When the limit is reached, a one-in one-out system will operate.
- Traffic management will be in place and due to safety concerns queuing outside will be restricted. Residents may be asked to leave and return at a later time.
- Social distancing of 2m should be followed at all times.
- Please bear in mind that, due to health and social distancing reasons, staff on site will not be able to help carry your waste. Therefore residents should only bring items they can comfortably carry themselves.
- Asbestos will not be accepted at any site.
- The last entry to all sites will be at 4.45pm as the sites shut at 5pm.
- The Reuse Shop at the Humberfield household waste recycling site will remain closed, and no items for the shop can be collected, so people are asked to keep hold of items they want to donate to the shop.
- If you or your family are showing Covid-19 type symptoms, please follow Government advice and stay at home.
Normal household bin collections will continue for regular waste and recycling.