‘Active Coast’ launches this Easter with an exciting activity and events programme in Bridlington, Hornsea and Withernsea
East Riding of Yorkshire Council has unveiled details of the events and activity programme set to launch its new Active Coast concept this Easter.
Providing opportunities to get active, be healthy and enjoy life on the East Yorkshire coast, Active Coast will feature a range of exciting free family fun days as part of the programme.
This includes the Sewerby Fields ‘Have a field day’ on Wednesday 12 April, from 11am to 4pm. Located on the cliff top at the southern end of Sewerby Fields, this event should provide the perfect venue to celebrate all things active on the coast and a great chance to get out with family and friends. Fun activities for all ages will be on offer, including a mobile clip ‘n climb wall; Slackline Schools tightropes; samba drums with Louder than Life workshops; shoot some archery; join in with multi sports; learn to ride or improve cycling skills; have fun with play activities and face painting for all; find information about health checks with ERL Bridlington; information about Humberside Police; information about the RNLI; and other opportunities on the East Yorkshire coast.
Other Active Coast events during the Easter period include:
- Saturday 8 April : 9am : the Sewerby parkrun at Sewerby Hall and Gardens. This regular weekly free event is now in its fifth year, and offers an active challenge for all abilities.
- Saturday 8 April will also see the Go Spike Season Launch – free beach volleyball sessions on Bridlington south beach, from 1pm to 3pm. All ages are welcome to learn and play the game.
- A Family Fun Day on Sunday 9 April at Sewerby Hall and Gardens will include inflatables, family archery, various sporting activities, and much more. There will also be the Hornsea Half Marathon that day.
- Monday 10 April will see a Coastal Opportunities Gateway Walk, from Skirlington to Hornsea, at 9.30am.This free exciting beach walk will explore areas of coastal erosion, difficult to access rural beaches and stunning landscapes. Return transport will be provided for this strenuous walk. That date will also include Walking for Health, a two hour progression walk from Bridlington Hospital Coffee Shop, at 10am, and an Indoor Volleyball Club Session at East Riding Leisure Bridlington from 6.30pm.
- The 2017 All Ride Open Days on Bridlington North Promenade will take place on Tuesdays 11 and 18 April, and there will be beach sports sessions at Bridlington south beach on both dates, from 1pm to 3pm, for 8 to 11, and 11 to 16 year olds.
- Wednesday 12 April will also see Walking for Health walks at East Riding Leisure Hornsea and Withernsea – free guided one-hour walks for all ages and abilities.
- Thursday 13 April will feature a free Mile Marker Health Walk from East Riding Leisure Bridlington at 10am, a beginner walk along the mile marker routes, and a Coastal Opportunities Gateway Walk from Hornsea to Mappleton beach at 10am (a strenuous walk).
- On Thursday 13 April there will also be a second ‘Have a field day’ event in Hornsea from 11am to 3pm at Graingers Field, South Promenade, with the mobile Clip ‘n Climb wall; multi sports; mobile skate park; shoot some archery; learn or improve cycling skills; play activities and face painting.
- Friday 14 April will include the Bridlington Five Mile Easter Dash from Lime Kiln car park to Sewerby Hall and Gardens, with Easter eggs and other goodies on offer, and a medal. The Hut at Withernsea will host a Clip ‘n Climb Family Fun Day, and there will be the Bridlington Hockey Festival. This date will also see the first day of the Bridlington Annual Easter Hockey Festival running throughout the weekend. Head to Bridlington Hockey club, free to spectate.
Councillor Richard Burton, portfolio holder for civic wellbeing and culture, said: “This is a superb programme of events across a range of activities for all ages and abilities, with a mixture of fun and more serious activities, and a fantastic way to launch Active Coast! I hope that lots of people will get involved during Easter week, and take advantage of everything that our Active Coast has to offer.”
For full details of Active Coast, and the events programme for Easter, visit www.visithullandeastyorkshire.com/coast/Active-Coast.aspx