Are you disabled and need to use a wheelchair in your home? Or perhaps you are caring for a disabled person? Did you know there are council tax reductions available?

Many people know that full council tax has to be paid for a property if two or more people live there and that people who live on their own can apply for a council tax discount.

What they may not know is that they might also be able to get a discount if someone living there qualifies for one of several types of other council tax reductions.

To qualify for a ‘Carers’ reduction, a person has to be providing care for at least 35 hours a week to someone who is over 18, is not their partner or their child (under 18) and who lives in the same house as them.

The person who they are caring for must be receiving at least one of the following benefits:

  • Attendance Allowance

  • the higher or middle rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance

  • a daily living component of the Personal Independence Payment

  • an increase in the rate of his/her disablement pension

There is also a reduction available for people who have mental health problems if a registered medical practitioner confirms that they have a severe and permanent mental impairment and they are in receipt of one of a range of benefits including:  

  • Attendance Allowance

  • a daily living component of Personal Independence Payment

  • Employment Support Allowance

  • a number of other allowances granted because of disability

For a full list of qualifying benefits visit

Those who have reached pension age also qualify if they would otherwise have been entitled to one of these benefits.

A reduction is also available if someone (adult or child) who lives in the house is substantially and permanently disabled and one of the following conditions is met:

  • There is an additional bathroom or kitchen which is needed by the disabled person because of their disability

  • There is a room (other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet) needed by and mainly used by the disabled person because of their disability

  • A wheelchair is used indoors by the disabled person

This reduction results in the council tax bill being reduced to the amount payable for a property in the valuation band below the band currently applied to a property. Properties in the lowest valuation band, Band A, will still receive a reduction on their bill.

Information about the complete range of

council tax reductions and discounts, including council tax support (a discount for residents on low incomes), is available on East Riding of Yorkshire Council’s website. Applications for reductions can also be made online. 

Further information and advice is available at customer service centres or residents can telephone the council tax team on (01482) 393939.