During November Safer Roads Humber is taking part in the national ‘motor insurance’ road safety campaign.

This joint campaign between road safety partnerships, police forces and the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) highlights the need to have vehicle insurance whilst driving on the regions roads. The MIB estimate that nationally around 2.5% of vehicles are not insured and with over 500,000 vehicles in the Humber region around 13,000 vehicles are being driven around without insurance.

Evidence from the MIB has shown that uninsured vehicles are more likely to be involved in crashes and more likely to have a defect which makes them not roadworthy. Uninsured vehicles are also used in other criminal activities and therefore it is important to take them off the road.

During the week of 12th November Safer Roads Humber is funding an enforcement operation targeted at getting uninsured vehicles off the road. Vehicle registrations are checked by the police against the MIB national database to see if a vehicle is insured. Any vehicle that doesn’t appear on the MIB list will be stopped and the driver will be questioned further.

Anyone caught driving without valid insurance could face six penalty points on their licence, a fine of £300 and if your vehicle is seized will have to pay a fee to have it released. If the case goes to court, a driver could get an unlimited fine and could be disqualified from driving.

It is easy to check if your insurance is up to date as the Motor Insurers Bureau provides a free website where drivers can enter their details. https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

In contrast the good news is that the majority vehicles are insured, so the partnership is saying a ‘big thank-you’ to all the drivers who do the right thing. However, the partnership is highlighting the need for drivers to have the correct type of insurance which includes ‘business use’ if you use your car for work reasons, including commuting to work.

This could be something as simple as popping down to the bank for work, working from a different site to cover someone on holiday or going on a training course in a location away from your normal place of work. In this situation you may need to check if your insurance is valid, as if anything happens your insurance company may not cover you. If you drive more than one vehicle don’t just assume you are covered for that one too.

Safer Roads Humber recommends you check with your insurance company to make sure you have the correct type of insurance.

1. Social media links
Safer Roads Humber – facebook page @saferroadshumber / twitter @humberroads
Motor Insurers Bureau – www.mib.org.uk / facebook @driveinsured / twitter @DriveInsured

Ruth Gore – Safer Roads Humber Marketing Officer
01482 398210 (please check your records and update them to this new number)
07717 447 196

Press Office, East Riding of Yorkshire Council